The building of the railway station in Birobidzhan, 32 Kalinin street
The Central Executive Committee adopted the decision, which proclaimed that all spare lands in the Amur River basin should be allotted to the working Jews for their settlement needs. In April 1928 the first group of settlers from the central parts of Russia, the Ukraine and Byalorussia arrived at the station “Tikhonkaya”, where the Birobidzhanskiy post for resettling people was located. In 1933 there was established a district with Tikhonkaya station as a Center. On January 29, Tikhonkaya station was renamed into workmen’s settlement Birobidzhan. About 18 thousand workers moved to Birobidzhan district from 1928 till 1933. The building of the railway station used to be a wooden one constructed in 1912 with the post for resettling people was very small.
It was necessary to extend the building because of sharp increase of passengers. In 1933 it was decided to start construction of the new stone building of the railway station. The Baikal-Amur 13th construction department built it. Sutunin, a work superintendent, was responsible for that department. On December 29, 1935 the construction of the building, two railways and platforms was completed. The railway station was the first stone building constructed for the very short period of time and of high quality, despite lack of materials, machinery and workers. Most of the prisoners were given benefits and discharged ahead of time for their good work.
The building itself was a bright example of Soviet architecture in the middle of 30s. In general exterior of the railway station building has remained the same.
The building is located to the south-west from the railways along Oktyabrskaya street. It faces the railway square and Memorial square.
In 2002 to the 60th anniversary of Birobidzhan the building of the railway station and its square was completely reconstructed.
Publishing office of the newspaper ”Birobidzhaner Stern” in Birobidzhan, 32 Lenin street.
The monument is connected with journalistic work of Soviet writer E.G. Kazakevich, who made a valuable contribution to the development of culture of the JAR and soviet literature. Kazakevich, E.G. is a soviet writer, state prize of the USSR winner (1948, 1950). He was born in Poltavskaya Region, Kremenchug city in teacher family. He finished 7-year school Kharkov city. In1931 after graduation from the Kharkov machine-building professional school he moved to the Far East. He had lived and worked in Birobidzhan from 1931 to 1937.
The Publishing office is located in the central part of the city. The building faces the central street on the south-west. It is three-story building of yellow color. Its walls are plane without decor. The memorial plaque is installed on the main facade of the building, to the right of the central entrance
The Regional museum and library named after Sholom-Aleichem in Birobidzhan, 25 Lenin street.
The building of the library was constructed in the style architecture of the 40s. It is one of the first stone buildings in Birobidzhan. The monument is bound up with the history of cultural construction of the JAR. In 1935 People’s Committee of Education was offered to build a library in Birobidzhan with collection of 500000 volumes. On November 2, 1935 the decision of the regional executive committee of the JAR on “books for the regional library” was adopted. The regional library was formed on the base of city library in 1940. N.K. Krupskaya (Lenin’s wife) rendered the assistance in organization of the regional library. A new building was constructed during the Second World War and completed at the end of 1944. The project author was architect V.G. Gelfreih. It was determined to house a regional museum in the new building as well. In 1945 the library was opened for readers. In 1946 the regional library was renamed into Sholom-Aleichem, after the classic of Jewish literature to 30 years of his death.
The regional museum of local lore was opened for visitors on June 10, 1945. There are sections of nature, history of the Region’s civil and world war and the Region’s formation and its development.
Lenin’s monument at Lenin’s square in Birobidzhan.
Central committee of the Communist party and Council of Ministers of the USSR decided to erect the monument on July 7, 1974. It was approved on October 26, 1978.
The opening of the monument was on October 7, 1978 at 12 P.M. The authors are members of Academy of Art of the USSR, People’s artist of the USSR, Lenin and state prize winner, professor, sculptor L.E. Kerbel and architect L.V. Misozhnikov. Sculptural work was founded at Mitishevskiy experimental plant of artistic casting named after E.P. Belashova. Mounting work was done by Birobidzhan construction company.
This monument is considered to be a monument of monumental art too.
The building of the workshop of Dalselmash plant in Birobidzhan, Zhdanov street.
Dalselmash plant was constructed in 1938. The workshop’s building is supposed to be a monument of its history connected with working activity of the Hero of the Soviet Union I.R. Bumagin in 1938-1941. He repeated Matrosov’s heroic deed during the Second World War. He blocked gun-port of the pill-box with his body.
Monument – Museum was opened in honor of participants of Volochaevskaya battle and Common Grave, who died in Volochaevskaya battle. Volochaevskaya Hill is located in Smidovich district, railway station Volochaevskaya-1.
This monument immortalizes the capture, of Volochaevskaya Hill made by partisans and soldiers of revolutionary army of the Far Eastern Republic on 10-12, February 1922. It brought to full freedom of the Far East from the White Army.
The monument was erected in 1928 in honor of participants of Volochaevskaya battle in the Civil war on the Iyun-Koran Mount . The author of the project is sculptor L.A. Badoniy. The monument is 2 meters from the Common Grave. The building is two stories high constructed in the form of a fortress. A museum is situated there. Authentic artifacts of the battle are located there.